Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Schrebergarten and DDR era housing estates

I've been wanting to post about Schrebergarten for ages. Although I've seen these collections of small gardens when I've been out and about, this is the first time I've come across them while running. They are a bit similar to allotments that we have in England and elsewhere, but they are a) nearer or in the city itself and b) not just about the veg.

Because the majority of people live in apartments, with or without balconies, some people also have a Schrebergarten where they can not only grow fruit and veg, but also just hang out out in the summer (and even stay overnight). And so the ones I've seen have loads of flowers, garden sheds, inflatable paddling pools and deck chairs. Apparently (according to my German teacher), they can get very bureaucratic, with precise measurements of how tall things can grow and what can be planted. But they look great to me, especially having run through southern Lichtenberg, which is made up of road after road of later DDR era housing estates.

 

I can see how planners in the 60s and 70s thought that this made sense - it feels logical, fair and practical. You have your flat to live in, your garden to relax in and amenities close by. But for me, it does miss something that makes it individual, organic and less, well, planned. Like this random hunting couple atop a brass hippo fountain that I passed as I came back under the bridge to Friedrichshain.


No comments:

Post a Comment