Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Telephone boxes

My next few routes all take me up past the gorgeous, italian looking Tuchollaplatz (thanks google street view) and into Lichtenburg proper. It feels like a completely different town - you only have to go under the railway bridge and you find yourself in a quiet residential, suburbia. Bicycles seem to have been replaced by cars and only one café every four blocks rather than four cafés every block on the other side of the tracks. True to my original aim, with my camera in my pocket, I kept my eyes peeled for something to note. I have to admit that half-way round I was struggling. Due to the heatwave we've been having, it was early in the morning but there were enough people about for something to crop up.... but nothing.

 

Suddenly, I noticed that the last three telephone boxes I had run past were all different. Maybe being from England where the red telephone box is such a national symbol made me more sensitive to variations in how people house their telephony. In any case, telephone boxes used to be yellow, until T-mobile made them bright pink. But while looking for some interesting facts about the boxes on the internet, I came across this one which has been turned into a library. Which a village in Somerset has also down with our beloved telephone boxes.  Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment